Samdharmi planets are those planets that behave similar to each other or give the results of the other planet. The following planets are said to be Samdharmi.
Samdharmi Planets and their inter-relationships
- When two planets are in one sign, and in one constellation, they are said to be of similar nature (Samdharmi). It means they can help each other in giving the result.
- In the “Tenth House Theory” (see Figure 1),planet ‘A’ in the fourth place is Samdharmi to planet ‘B’ in the tenth placefrom it. However, ‘A’ must have more points in its ashtakavarga then ‘B’. ‘B’being the karyesh (significator) and getting maximum points, but in case planetB aspects the significating houses, planet ‘A’ can then give the results in its sub period, even if ‘B’ gets more points.
- If, in the above case, planet ‘A’ had less points then ‘B’, then planet ‘A’ would behave in a reverse way and might give adverse results if it didn’t receive more than 12 points in its final tally, as indicated in the worksheet.
- In Figure 2, if planet ‘A’ aspects or has‘sight’ on the significating house for an event, then the transit of the Sun can be considered relevant as it travels thru the sign and constellation of‘A’ (In this case, the transit of the Sun through ARIES and its Nakshatra or constellation would play a very big part in the results for this particular event.)
- Rahu and Ketu are Samdharmi to the lord of the sign and the lord of the constellation in which they are situated. Suppose Rahu is in 15 degrees of Cancer, then it is in the sign of the Moon, and in the Nakshatra of Pushya, which is the section that covers 3 deg. 20 min. – 16 deg.40 min. of the sign Cancer and is ruled by Saturn. So it will be samdharmi to the Moon and Saturn. It can give benefic results in its sub period but only when the Moon and Saturn are both receiving more than 12 points.
NOTE: Rahu and Ketuare also Samdharmi to the Navamsa lord and the planets they conjoin in the Navamsa. However, Rahu and Ketu are not Samdharmi to planets that they conjoin in the Rasi. This clarification only holds true for the Navamsa.
- Venus and Saturn are natural 4th and 10th house lords, (being lords of the 7th and 10th signs and 11th and 2nd signs) so they are Samdharmi. In this case, if both planets are strong, then either of them can give the results if the sub period comes earlier. Similarly, Mars and Sun are Samdharmi. (Leo and Scorpio are 4:10) Moon and Mars are Samdharmi. (Aries and Cancer are 4:10) See Figure 3.
The Samdharmi planets can give the results of each other as illustrated in Figure 4. Suppose Planet‘Q’ and ‘R’ are samdharmi and powerful. Let Planet ‘Q’ be the powerful Significator for any event of the life, and ‘Q’ is having its sight on one of the signifying houses. In such a case, the result will be experienced in the sub period of ‘R’. If ‘Q’ is a most strong significator and ‘R’ is also the 2nd or the 3rd significator, in this case also, if the sub period of ‘R’ is earlier, results may be experienced.
- We do not include the sight of the planets on the 3rd and the 11th house from the house ‘A’ (as indicated in the work sheet). If any planet with less then 4 points receives good marks and is the 2nd or 3rd significator, aspects the 3rd or the 11th houses, can come forward to give the results if the sub period of the powerful planets are long ahead.
Planets are have natural significations for certain houses. These are known as karakas and are indicators of the natural characteristics exhibited by a planet, house or sign. Generally it is said thatVenus is the natural karaka for Marriage or for the wife. Jupiter is for children. How it this arrived at?
In our previous lessons, we learned that the eighth house from any house is the basic reason for the event indicated by the house.For example, if the 7th house signifies the marriage, then the 2nd house (eighth from the 7th) is the house which is mostly effected, so we start from the 2nd house. If we consider the natural chart of the Zodiac, where Aries is the ascendant, the eighth house lord from any house is known as the natural karaka of the house.(See Figure 5 for a few examples of this).
The 8th house from the 7th is Taurus and its lord is Venus, so Venus is known as a karaka for marriage. If we count 8 from the 5th house, we arrive at the 12th house of Pisces, ruled by Jupiter, so Jupiter is known as karaka for Children.
- The 6th house stands for enmity and diseases and Mars, the eighth lord from it is a karaka.
- The 4th house is for ‘Patal’ beneath the earth, so 11th lord Saturn is the karaka for minerals.
- The 3rd house denotes longevity and the eighth lord is Saturn, which is the karaka for longevity.
- The 2nd house The signifies knowledge (vidya) and Jupiter signifies it. Jupiter means Guru (teacher)
- The 1st house or individuality of a person depends upon Mars, the eighth lord, as a karaka.
- The 12th house, known as Moksha, bed comforts, goes to Venus for the karaka.
- The 11th house stands for the income and Mercury is the karaka for it.
- The 10th house stands for authority, and the eighth lord Sun is the karaka for it. (Some schools say the 10th house is for the father, so the Sun is also a karaka for the father.
- The 9th house is for the luck factor, and Moon is the karaka for it. We consider the moon sign.
If the karaka planets are debilitated, the overall results will be affected in the following ways:
- Venus loses its natural power if it is within 3 degrees from the Sun. Similarly, itgives adverse results if it is more then 43 degrees from Sun. If it aspects Saturn in the above case, it behaves like an “anti- karaka”. Its karaka for marriage and bed comforts gets spoiled.
- Venus in the Nakshatra of Krittika, (0 –10 degrees of Taurus) loses its karaka and becomes neutral. The aspect from Saturnagain spoils it. If along with Venus,Saturn aspects one of the luminaries (Sun or Moon) , Venus loses all of its power as a karaka. Saturn is a slow moving planet and its aspect on the signifying houses delays the results. If Jupiter aspects Saturn, the delay is moderate. Both the Rasi and the Navamsha charts should be analyzed for this.
- Jupiter in Libra loses all of its benefic qualities and its karaka gives the opposite effect.
- If the 12th lord from the house ‘B’ is placed in house ‘B’, it spoils, or reduces the results. If Saturn is the lord of this house, the effect is even worse and will be experienced in the sub period of such a planet.
- If the lord of 12th house from House‘B’ aspects the lords of House ‘A’, House ‘B’ and House ‘C’,. the worst results will be felt in the sub period of such planets as related to house ‘B’.
Example: Let Cancer be the ascendant, so the sixth lord is Jupiter. In this case, if Jupiter aspects the Sun (second lord) Saturn(7th lord) and Venus (11th lord), then in the sub period of Jupiter, the husband or the wife of the native will expire or there will be a separation of some sort (see Figure below).
- If Saturn is in the fourth house from House A (as indicated in Figure 7) it will have sight on all the three significator houses. In such a case, the event is experienced late in the life. Delays may be repeated about 1.5 to 1.75 times. In such cases, while in the delay period, the event may not be experienced.
• If the natural karakas become spoiled due to any reason, the results will also be spoiled. In such cases, the event may be experienced in the sub period of the planet that gets the least points or less then 12 points. Of course, the results come out just the opposite when in the sub period of a strong significator.
• If opposite house lords, such as Mars-Venus (see Figure 8), Jupiter-Mercury, Sun-Saturn, or Moon-Saturn are in a 2:12 (meaning 2nd/12th house relationship) or 6:8 relationship, then the results of House ‘B’, if ruled by one of the pair given above, gets some deficiencies. . . 6:8 relationships are worse then 2:12 relationships.
Similarly, 4:10 relationships also denote opposition but with due respect. 3:11 relationships depend upon the difference in longitude of the two planets. If the difference is less then 40 degrees, then the results are similar to a 2:12 relationship.
Mars is in the 2nd place from Venus, and Venus is in the 12th house from Mars So it is 2:12 relationship.
Mars is in 6th house from Venus, and Venus is in 8th house from Mars, so it is known as 6:8 relationship
Some Important Rules For Marriage
- When two planets are in 4:10 combinations, and the planet in the fourth place has less points than the planet in the tenth place, it will give the results according to its nature or opposite to the nature of the planet in the tenth place.
- The sixth lord of the chart gives adverse results for all the houses, except for the ninth and first house.
- Any planet in opposition to Venus weakens its original nature.
- Venus in Krittika, Ardra or the Mula nakshatras, becomes malefic for marriage and marital relations. It is especially malefic in Krittika.
- If the above combination in #14 is aspected by Saturn, it will lose all its quality.
- If Saturn, in the #13th or #14th, also aspects any one of the luminaries, (even in the Navamsha chart, it will totally spoil the nature of Venus.
- Venus within 3 degrees, or more then 43 degrees from the Sun, loses its nature, and becomes malefic (particularly for marriage).
- Planets having more points reduces the results of the houses that they aspect.
- Only Saturn can have zero points in the 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 12th house if it situated in those houses. (no other planet can have zero points in the place where it is situated).
- Mars can give zero points for 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 12th houses ONLY when it is not in those houses.(See Figure 9 to illustrate this example).
- No planet can give zero points in the 11th house. (see Lesson 1 and the Ashtakavarga Tables)
- Only Venus can give zero points in the 10th house, but in such cases, it is mostly spoiled. The 10th house is for authority and Work (Karma) Venus is the basic Karaka for the 7th and the 12th houses, which are mostly related to the opposite sex. If anybody is involved only in those activities, they may not be able to do anything in the life and will ignore his duties. So zero in 10th house due to Venus denotes that.
- If there are zero points in any house by any planet, this definitely indicates some deficiencies in the life of the native. Generally marriage is the main event in the life of a native in the Indian culture. It gets spoiled due to zero points. The more zeroes, the more instability is indicated for the marital life. This also indicates multiple unstable marriages.
- Any planet with more than 5 points in any house will give the results of the fourth and the eighth houses from that house in its sub period.
- Generally the good result of any house is experienced in the sub period of the sixth or the tenth lords from that place.
- If the Lord of any house situated in the 6th or the 10th from its own house with more then 5 points, it will give much better results for its own house.
- Planets that are aspecting the sixth and tenth houses from house ‘B’ with benefic site also give better results for the ‘B’ house