According to Hinduism and the Catholic faith, marriage is taken as an indissoluble and sacred institution. In some Western countries, it is a contract and can be dissolved at any time. In astrology, the marriage is governed by the planetary disposition at the time of birth. The astrologer can thus read the indications and the tendencies of a happy marriage or otherwise.
In Hindu mythology, the marriage can be broken down in to groups as follows:
- Devas (Gods) This is marriage that is settled in heaven by the Gods and is ruled by Jupiter.
- Manushya (Humans) This means that the marriage is settled in the community by the elder persons of the family and is controlled by a strong and benefic Venus.
- Rakshasas (Demons) This is marriage performed against the will of the female by force and is the result of an afflicted Venus by Saturn and Mars.
- Gandharva Vivaha This last one can be an intercast, inter-religion or international type of marriage indicator along with the 3rd group and states that the marriage is settled between a male and female of their own free will. It is ruled by Venus and Mars, where Venus is afflicted by Mars, either by sight or association.
We have already seen in last lesson that the karaka for marriage is Venus. It also governs the women, wife, sexual happiness, beauty,love making, poetry, dancing, music, singing, flowers, scents, decoration, art,etc.
The marriage is mainly based on mutual attraction, physical fitness, mental quality, heredity, sexual compatibility, and social and economical status. The lagna or the ascendant governs the physical fitness, the Moon rules the emotional mind and the mental quality, and the Sun governs the spirit and the status. Hence the observation of the sethree is very necessary, the lagna, the Sun and the Moon. The relationship between the lord of the lagna and the lords of the house in which the Moon and the Sun are situated, as well as the lord of the seventh house from them, is a very important factor. If they are in a 5:9 or 3:11 combination it is good. If they are 4:10 combination, it is said to be moderate. A 2:12 combination can be tolerable, but 6:8 is always gives disputes.
Working on a 100-point scale, we can assign these points to these combinations.
In Figure 2, let s suppose that the lagna lord (Mars)and the lord of 7th house (Venus) are in a 5:9 combination. That would be equal to 30 points. Similarly, the lord of the Moon sign (Mercury) and the lord of the seventh from the Moon (Jupiter) are in a 4:10 combination. This will be equal to 10 points. And finally, the lord of the sun sign (Saturn) and the seventh lord are in a 3:11 combination. This is equal to 20 points. We now have a total of 30 + 10 + 20 = 60 points. Below 50 is an indicator that there may be many disputes and difference of opinions in this marriage. Above 50 points indicates a good, happy and cooperative married life.
Before finding the results of the marriage, we must find the points acquired by the above calculations in this manner. Anything totaling zero to 20 points is a reason for a delayed marriage.
The position of Venus and its lordship is also very important. It becomes spoiled
(weak) in Krittika, Ardra, and the Mula nakshatras. It becomes moderately spoiled in Jyeshta. If it does not have benefic sight of Jupiter, it may give multiple relations/ marriages. Venus gets even more spoiled if it becomes associated or aspected by Saturn. Saturn is the planet that brings delay in both cases, whether it be by means of benefic or malefic sight or association. Whether we consider it benefic for a good reason or malefic for a bad reason, a delay will still be there in any case.
Saturn enhances the negative qualities of Venus and if it is aspected by Jupiter, it controls and modifies the result somewhat better.
The distance of Venus from the Sun is also a main factor here. Up to 3 degrees from the Sun, it loses all of its qualities. Such a Venus reduces the sex urge of the native. Up to 43 degrees from the Sun it behaves in a normal way and after 43 degrees, its qualities are enhanced as it increases the sexual feelings of the person. Mars in association with Venus causes the native to have no control over his or her sexual feelings. Saturn, if associated in this case may be a factor as well, in homosexuality.
This is one of the reasons for a delay in the marriage. The more afflicted Venus becomes, the more of a delay and/or more of a chance for extramarital relations. At the extreme end, it denies marriage altogether, but gives more relationships.
The Moon is the controller of the ninth house and of the mind. Its affliction by Rahu also spoils the control over the mind as well as the marriage life.
Therefore, before finding the result for marriage and before coming to any conclusions, we must study the above factors very keenly.
Analyzing a Happy Married Life
Here I will state some important laws for a happy married life:
- The points in the 1st and 7th house of the Sarvashtakavarga chart should be equal or with a difference of no more than 5 points. More points in the lagna make a person more egotistical. Above 35 points in the lagna makes the person stubborn. Points of about 28 in both the first and seventh houses are good and give a good match. If the difference is more then 33% between houses, then the sexual chemistry in the husband and the wife will be reduced. The 1st house should be considered as the native himself and the 7th house as his or her spouse.
- The combinations of the lord of the lagna, Moon sign and the Sun sign plus the lord of the 7th house from them must total more than 50 points for a normal and well adjusted married life. (as shown above in fig 1).
- As indicated in the worksheet, all the planets must give more than 12 points and if the conditions from numbers 1, 2, and 3 are fulfilled, then the marriage will be happy.
- To have none of the planets aspecting the A, B and C houses would be the ideal condition. If aspecting other planets, then they should have less than 4 points.
- In the case of number 4, the number of planets aspecting the 2nd house or its lord, even if it has less than 4 points, may give that number of extra marital relations.
- There should be no aspect of the sixth lord (the 12th from the 7th house) on the 7th house at the very least.
- If any planet gets more points due to the aspect of the sixth lord, then the strength of the planet for a happy marriage should be considered, thereby deleting the points.
- There should be no points accumulated by the sixth lord to any planet by aspect.
- When the sixth lord is in the 4th or the 12th house (meaning the 10th and the 6th from the 7th house) it can reduce the marital happiness.
- Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Libra and Pisces are the signs of love. A minimum of 28 points in these signs in the sarvashtakavarga brings more success to the marital life.
- More then 4 points in the above signs by the Sun, the Moon and Venus, makes the person more romantic in his/her love life.
- Only the sun in Pisces with more then 4 points makes the standards of the person somewhat lower and consequently love is restricted to physical contacts only.
- More points in the 10th or 1st house, or the 8th or 6th house, although it increases the status of the person will also reduce the happiness in the married life.
- Mars and Venus should be well posited in the chart and without the aspect of Saturn (this should also be seen in the navamsha chart).
- The navamsha lord of the 11th house as well as the planets in the 11th house, and their positions in the chart are also indicators to look for when searching for the quality of the love life. (The 11th lord means the lord of the 10th house from the 2nd or the lord of the 5th house from the 7th).
For each and every aspect of the life there is basically one significator planet that represents it. If it is said to be spoiled , the event may happen in the life but the overall quality of the good result becomes weaker, and proportionately, so does the overall happiness. Actually the overall results and the date of the event are two different things altogether.
These are the main factors and the general laws that contribute to a happy married life. We have a total of 15 general laws. If we give 10 points for each law that proves to be true out of those 15 and come up with a total of 60 points or more, we can say that the married life will be a satisfactory one. The more points we come up with out of a total of 150 points,the happier the marriage will be.